Sunday, June 5, 2022

Day 8, to Avonport

Started just before 8:30 this morning from where I'd stopped on Friday, in Kentville. After a night of rain, the sun came out! I did not have one drop of rain on my walking, which ended at 4:00, in Avonport. So I remain ahead of my tentative schedule.
The first let of my journey took me along Belcher Street to Port Williams. I got to the Baptist Church ten minutes before the service; that was 8.0 kms. 
A nice Pentecoat Sunday service was offered, and I was surrounded in the pews by more people younger then me than older. Farewells were offered to Rev. Don and Anita Flowers, moving this week to Memphis, Tennessee. A BBQ and children's games was enjoyed by all, outdoors in the yard. 
At about 1 pm it was time for me to set out again, and find my way to the final leg of the rail bed trail. 
Happily, my parents joined me for quite a bit of this. They had not walked all of it before - neither had I.
We enjoyed the lush scenery and wildlife, including red winged blackbirds, eastern kingbirds, eagles, and chipmunks. 
As they went for a little drive to Evangeline Beach and other picturesque spots, I walked on to cross the Gaspereau River, via the 101 highway bridge.
Tomorrow I will set out to walk along the number 1 highway, and enter Hants County. I may well get as far Falmouth, where Sharon and I first lived when we married. 

No comments:

Post a Comment