Saturday, June 11, 2022

Day 14, to Onslow; turning a corner

Today, Saturday, I turned a corner. After journeying eastwards, I turned to the west. I crossed the Salmon River at Truro, and started along the other shore of the Minas Basin, so to speak. 
I was very happy to have my good friend Jonathan join me for the whole trek today, about 25.3 kms, starting near Old Barns. 
Just as we started, JR wisely pointed out a road to the railbed, so we took it. Woods among the farmlands held lovely scenes, and even a great little bog to explore. 
After a while the official rail trail began and led us to Truro. The weather was sunny with a fresh breeze. We paused for a break in 'The Hub,' toured some of the Dal AC campus, and rested again at the home of my friends in Bible Hill who have hosted me. 
To make the next day's walk a bit shorter, JR and I carried on (this is where I began going west) to Onslow, just over the 102 highway. Those last six kms were not the most fun, sometimes with barely a shoulder to tread, with steady traffic going by, but we did it. I did come across a mystery plant (a 'lifer,' one never seen by me before) plus a cool species I see seldom, right on the highway overpass. (The mystery:)
After dinner with some of my friends, it is time to rest up for tomorrow. Sunday morning I will get together with other friends I've met thru the years at a theological seminar, and worship at a church JR and I walked by today. In the afternoon I will set out from Onslow to get to Little Dyke, near Lower Debert. Should be about 20 kms. The westward walk will begin in earnest, and I will be on the shady side of the street. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment