Thursday, June 16, 2022

Day 19, to Lakelands; Cumberland County!

Thursday, and under sunny skies I set out on the number two highway again, leaving Lower Five Islands and headed through the Moose River woods. It was not far to get to the Harrington River and the county line. At last I was hiking through the county I am returning to, after being away for twenty and a half years. 
It was perfect weather, and not too much traffic. I sometimes was faster than the vehicles, because there is new paving being laid down in New Prospect. 
I seemed to make good time, with a few stops along the way. By noontime I was resting in the shade just before 'Long Hill,' which is just before Parrsboro. Over that hill, my long-time friend, Brian, joined me - on his bicycle. I was ahead of schedule; Brian had planned to join me farther from town. 
We journeyed throught the town that I'd moved to in 1996. We passed the Parsonage and Church where I lived and worked for five and a half years.
We got to Brian and Ruth's home, where I'm staying, and I had a good break - a nice long nap. 
For several weeks they have been babysitting my ailing car. There was ole Blueberry. After I napped and snacked, and recalculated my kms for the day (~21), I decided another hour on the road was in order. Again, Brian joined me, on his bicycle. After an hour, Brian turned back. My phone had decided to quit working, so attempts by me and Ruth to contact one another failed. By 5, she came in her car to pick me up. (View from the neighbourhood:)
A restart of my cell phone got it functioning again. Ruth served a hearty supper, and it was time to be off my feet. Ahh. It was a 30.1 km day! Tomorrow I may start early, to get ahead of as much rain as possible, and walk to Westbrook, or even the verge of Southampton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment