Saturday, June 4, 2022

Day 7, Canadian Association for Baptist Freedoms

Today was the second part of the 50th anniversary gathering of the CABF, a small but lively group of 'broad minded' Baptist Christians, from Nova Scota and across Canada. About the time I was beginning my life, some Baptists were organizing to stand up for the freedom of local churches that accepted as full members folk from other denominations, to have official cooperation with others in the Canadian Council of Churches, and to be respected for not taking the Bible literally. The struggle was real; the struggle goes on!
I was indeed a celebratory weekend! There was a lot of looking back with fondness and gratitude. There was thoughtful reflection upon where we are today in the Canadian spiritual landscape. And there was some creative thinking about the future of faith.
The only walking for me was down and up a Wolfville hill, from my parent's home to the Baptist Church, and back. Tomorrow my route is like this: start by 8:30 am from Kentville, get to Port Williams Baptist Church, via Belcher Street, in time for 10 am worship and the farewell of their minister, my friend, Dr. Don Flowers. After the festivities, I can cross the Cornwallis River and hit the rail trail again, all the way to Grand Pre, and perhaps across the Gaspereau River.

No comments:

Post a Comment