Friday, June 10, 2022

Day 13, to Beaver Brook; not ticked

I am grateful for another marvellous day. Nothing to tick me off, not even the ticks in the grass on the side of the road. I started off hitching a ride with teachers, and in the car we got to listen to me being interviewed about this pilgrimage. CBC Interview 
I got dropped off at yesterday's stopping place, in Lattie's Brook. The heavy rains of the night were all passed; blue sky was peeking through the clouds by 8 am already. After several kilometers, I took a dirt road for a brief nature walk by the Five Mile River. I found some great plants (and lichens), including a very uncommon lily, not yet in bloom. The sides of the highway yeilded some nice botany also. 
While I was there, with poor cell service, a new friend called, trying to track me down. Dan is a Salvation Army officer who walks pilgrimages, and joined me for most of the day. What great walking and conversation. 
We had an early lunch break by the Shubenacadie. The sky was bluing up, the muddy river was emptying out.
As we walked on, into Colchester County, we enjoyed the landscape of forest and farms. In Beaver Brook, we stopped in to an old farm and my friend Becky gave us ice water and homemade oatmeal cookies. Thanks! I even got to refresh the tick repellent on my socks and legs, thanks to her. She is a companion of many Seminars in Theological Education, of past Junes, in the Truro area.
On we went for the final leg of the day's walk, which was not to a destination as much as a time... when my teacher friends would drive home from school and pick me up. Dan had his own ride. I will be a pilgrim with him again, someday. He prompted us to set up stones of remembrance where we parted company,  and offer blessings. I neglected to track how far he walked. I ended up going 35.5 kms once my walking time had ticked away.
 Stopping between Beaver Brook and Old Barns, on Saturday I will walk from there into Truro and Bible Hill. I am hoping a good friend from Digby will join me for tomorrow's journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment