Monday, June 13, 2022

Day 16, to Bass River; holy places

The Celtic prayer book I am using now says this today: 
"Celtic spirituality valued pilgrimages to holy places. On Monday, some of us take pilgrimages to "holy places" of work: to hearth-side or to commute. Some of us, confined or retired, continue our daily life pilgrimages on our walk with Jesus."
Today I started out from Little Dyke at 8:30 with six companions. They did not go all the way to Bass River with me (27.2 kms), but they took part. Thanks Margie, Dawn, Gerldine, Nancy and Yvonne, for being pilgrims with me.
A friend I know from birding trips speaks of poet, Elizabeth Bishop, and stays each year in the Great Village cottage she did. Now I know where it is, I must get into her poetry.
A trip across the land, even familiar ground, reveals new holy places to us. From the little lake where I am staying now, to the wayside scenes, to nature's variety, there is so much that is special and that can be sacred. 
From Great Village on, the sprinkles and rain came down. I was plenty warm all the while. I lunched under a spruce tree in the Portapique area, sitting on an old real estate sign. Approaching Bass River, I took the side road to Kings Rest, and visited my ole friend, George, down by the beach. It was a welcome reunion, and a nice time to take wet things off and put my feet up, before the final few kilometres. Those final steps took me into the heart of the village, and the remarkable memorial park. Not only are human war veterans honoured there, but also animals of all kinds who served.
Definitely a holy spot.
Dear Yvonne came and fetched me.  Back at the cottage, a wood fire was taking the dampness off, and Yvonne put the finishing touches on a supper of baked beans etc, with chocolate cake for dessert! A traditional and yet holy feast, to be sure.
Every place I have stayed I have been so well fed by my generous family and friends; I think I am gaining weight!
On Tuesday, I will set out from Bass River in the morning rain, headed for Five Islands. Again, it will surely be holy ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment