Friday, July 20, 2012

Historic Gardens



In the midst of vacation time, I stopped by the Historic Gardens in Annapolis Royal today.  Here are just a few shots - things that caught my interest.  Of course, the roses are performing well.



And there is plenty of perennial stuff putting on a show.  Puts my gardens to shame. 

I've been watching the Pawpaw tree progress through the years, and for the first time today glimpsed some growing fruit.  My own trees at the Cottage are about four inches tall!
Asimina triloba 
My wife says this trio of fruit looks like a propeller.  
     Most gardens have sculptural elements these days, and here is a whimsical one among the grasses.
Look closely.  I think this is a marvellous use of Burdock burs!
     And the Japanese Umbrella Pine is looking grand.  I planted seeds of this "hard-to-start-from-seed" tree this spring.   None have sprouted.   It will be many a year before I have one this size.
Sciadopitys verticilliata
 Just look at the cones of this maturing specimen in Annapolis.
There, that's my quick tour of the Historic Gardens.  There is so much more; I've just scratched the surface.  Enjoy it when you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment