Monday, July 9, 2012

Geodesic Arbour

After planning and dreaming about this project, it finally got put together this weekend.  It's been a while in the making.  I've needed something for growing some vines at the cottage - kiwi, grape, honeysuckle, etc.  And the geodesic dome idea caught my imagination about a year and a half ago.  So, thanks to a lot of web searching, and thanks to the Desert Domes website, a plan came together.  Here are the stages...
     Prepare the ground where this geodesic arbour will go.

The wood I used was simply some English Oak saplings.  
Four lenghts had to be cut, and I pre-drilled the holes for attaching to the hubs that connected them all.  The longest stage of planning was deciding upon simple, affordable and adequate materials for the connecting hubs.  I used perforated metal strapping, nuts and bolts.  


Once I had all the pieces, it was time to piece it together.  

It was quite wobbly, especially in the early stages.  My wife helped out a great deal - two people were needed for most of this - as well as the temporary supports.


Ahhh... just look at that teamwork!  Until the last five pieces were installed, there was still a fair bit of give in the dome.  Which was good... each attachment took a bit of pulling a pushing to get it in right.  When the last piece went in, the dome immediately became more solid, sturdy, and unbending than I had imagined.  

My parents were happy spectators to this weird and wonderful project.  
And my wife put together a little sign for any curious passersby.   
 Now, it will be time to set out some vines and other plants all around, and to prepare the centre seating area.  It won't be shady in there for a few years, but it will be wonderful to watch the greening of the dome over the next few seasons.  
 This view shows the "door;" it requires one to bow in order to enter.  
     Thanks for joining us in geodesic gazing.  

3 comments:

  1. This is tooooo coool for words!!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I just hope it does not seem toooo cool to local children in the neighbourhood. When I get things planted and growing it may seem less like a climbing toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to think of long term results. Great job, Jeff!

    ReplyDelete