Sunday, July 1, 2012

Cottage Curiosities

The Peonies and some roses are smashed by the heavy rain last week (as usual), but other things are glorious on this hot Canada Day weekend in Nova Scotia.
Fleeceflower (Persicaria polymorpha) and annual poppy
 White goes with anything, doesn't it?  As does green.  Love these blue Alliums (A. caeruleum?).  Of course, I planted them too close to the expansive and expanding Fleeceflower.
Below is a daylily I got from Kristl Walek of Gardens North, at the Garden Club Convention.  I'm not sure of the name at the moment - maybe Hemerocallis 'Variegated Kwanso,' and I don't know what the bloom will one day look like, but the foliage is neat-o!
I like the more unusual plants, plant geek that I am.  Could you tell?  I think the Italian Arum gets curiouser and curiouser as it gets to the blooming stage. 
The spathes are so large and floppy, like a pale tarpaulin dropped among the leaf petioles.
 These blooms are quite large when unfolded. 

Maybe this year I'll get some berries for the first time, which seems to be the marketing ploy used to sell these lovely plants.   Happy Canada Day, one and all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment