Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hardy Amaryllis!

Last year I ordered and planted some so-called hardy Amaryllis (Hippeastrum johnsonii?).  I think I got the bulbs from Vesseys.  After I planted them, in the spring, a couple grew some little leaves, one bloomed and disappeared.  Then I was reading online what others have said about these plants.  "Not so hardy" seemed to be the common theme.  And my home is in zone 5b, I guess.
 Surprise, surprise, a couple plants came up this spring, and this one just finished blooming!  
I did plant them right in by the foundation of the house, beneath the Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans), behind some Holly (Ilex sp.).  I think this is a good trick to stretch one's zone and the hardiness of some touchy plants.   
I know, I know; it's a bit of the wild and weedy look.  Anyway, I've actually had an Angel's Trumpet return from its root here, after two winters in a row, thought this year it did not return.  
Good luck with your own hardiness experiments.  And happy Fourth of July to you American neighbours out there!  This red, white and green post is as good as it gets.  

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing to challenge oneself..and one's plants and planting. Congrats on the Amaryllis.

    ReplyDelete