Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Friend's Garden


Since I started blogging, a mere five months ago, I thought it would be great to feature the gardens of others.  As we head toward the backyard of this friend in Cumberland County,   NS, and view the geraniums hanging along the porch, one might expect a fairly traditional yard.  
And in a sense, it is traditional, but the collection of clematis, roses, and daylilies is truly wonderful.  And it is filled with plants in every corner.



These first shots I took on June 22, in the gardens of my friend Phil.  Roses and Daylilies are two great loves in his gardening.
When I returned, a few days ago, other roses were blooming.   This one, below, is Crocus Rose, a beautifully scented David Austin.  I was impressed with it so much I bought myself one.


And, of course, it is now daylily season here in Nova Scotia.  In the background there are also some Asiatics and others.  mercifully, the dreaded lily beetle has not yet arrived in this part of the province.  


Daylilies are not affected by the lily beetle.  The unidentified little critters above seemed merely to be revelling in the nectar and pollen.  Phil said there had been a multitude of these in the daylilies just lately.  
     This yard is packed with botanical treasures, well tended by the gardener, who has recently retired.  
Of course, there is much more than roses and daylilies.  Here are a few parting shots around the yard.   
 
Whenever I get to this town, I visit my friends here, see how things are growing, and we share our horticultural wisdom over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.  
     Well... maybe I should say that we talk about what grew and what didn't!  And we never mention goutweed.
  

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely garden. Such a great collection of Roses and Daylilies. That Crocus Rose is stunning. I rather enjoyed this visit, and I think it's time for a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete