Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wildflower Wednesday at Smiley's

I discovered there finally are wildflowers in bloom here in Nova Scotia - Hooray! - and some nearly in bloom.  We took a wander through Smiley's Provincial Park, and found some local treasures.  Despite about twenty-four hours of wind and rain, the Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) was brightening up the intervale.  

The sun had not been out long, so these little ones were still closed up and waiting the next fine day.  Lots of Nodding Trilliums (Trillium cernuum) are well on their way, but not yet in bloom.  A little grassy critter was flowering nearby.  Are you a sedge, or a rush?  I did not find out.
The damp lichen on a tree was as green as the springtime plants arising from the ground, and the various ferns were elegant in the fiddlehead stage.  I did not identify these maroon fronds unfolding.


In a different woodland I searched out the uncommon Round-Lobed Hepatica (Hepatica americana (or nobilis)), but it is not yet blooming.  I must visit again in a few more days.  
May the snow stay away from my fellow Canadians, and the joys of spring continue for us all!  
For more Wildflower Wednesday posts, check out http://www.clayandlimestone.com/ today, and the fourth Wednesday of each month.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you are sharing wildflowers for WW! I love the earliest spring blooms~when you have had just about enough winter they show up and make you smile. gail Isn't that hairy hepatica marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing your wildflowers - I especially like the fern heads just unfolding!
    Happy Wildflower Wednesday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think native wildflowers are such a treasure since they are short-lived and seem to hide from view. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jeff! You tell about Canadian wildflowers, I've read with interest.
    I live in Saint Petersburg and my Northern garden is in zone 5a.

    ReplyDelete