Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Challenges of Early Spring

Well, one of our challenges at home is the lovely, local deer.  We like them a lot.  Sometimes as many as eight at a time wander through.  It's just that they happen to like our bird seed, and our tulips.  
And a little globe cedar, Thuja occidentalis.  No wonder that thing never seems to make much progress!   
They notice my rake and shovel, but decide to do some trimming instead.  They have not got to the tulip greens yet.  Here is the carnage from last spring.

Also, it's also too early to move some things from the windowsill out to the deck or garden.  Like these elderberry cuttings, Sambucus nigra "Black Lace."  So, the spider mites are having a field day. 
 

If I could just have an occasional rainy day, the mite infestation would be washed away.  The little banana tree (Ensete?) also needs this kind of weather, as does the parlour maple, Abutilon sp.  Instead, they get an occasional shower in our bathroom to ward off the hungry, little, web-spinners. 

Perhaps my biggest springtime challenge is the need for patience.  Soon enough, everything will be growing quickly, the houseplants will be outside, and I won't be able to keep up!

2 comments:

  1. Your challenges are all too familiar to me...deer in early spring means I won't see too many tulips or certain evergreens or other plants...patience and a gentle alarm system to keep them away...they have so much more to partake of in the wild areas...leave me my garden please you cute deer...wishing you patience since I have none to give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Donna, the deer found the tulips yesterday. I may post some pictures I took of their leftovers at the salad bar. Just waiting now for a snowfall overnight to cover everything!

    ReplyDelete