Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Peonies and Promises

There's something about peonies arising from the ground that is so promising.  These were new acquisitions last year.  Both looked quite poor after a dry spell in the summer, but now they are proving they are wonderful survivors.  I don't expect blossoms this year, of course, but I now can expect to enjoy these plants for decades to come, and there will be blossoms!  Red and yellow, if memory serves correctly for these new plants.
You can see the promise of lots of weeding yet to come.  Let's just forget about that for now.  Another plant I've been taking cuttings of for a few years, and sometimes killing, is the elderberry "Black Lace."  This one, in the ground, is sprouting happily, as is one I have in a pot. 
Some of the perennials I started from seed last year, and planted in the ground, are also thriving.  Many of the seedlings I kept in pots are not showing any signs of life.  I think I'll try more "in the ground their first year" from now on.
Golly, what was this?  Hmmmm...

Eryngium yuccifolium, rattlesnake master!

Maybe this is Parthenium integrifolium, wild quinine.  I must start labelling things!
This last photo is not a great one, but the tree is great.  Last year this unnamed magnolia bloomed for the first time, and this year it will have many more.  So glad it has finally matured, and is happy in its windy spot by the Minas Basin.
Enjoy to the fullest all the great promises in your gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment