Saturday, October 6, 2012

Helianthus Hunting

I'm green with envy.  I'm coveting a curiosity.  I'm tempted to steal a sunflower.  I want this plant, and it grows in a public garden in a town just down the road.  It is Helianthus salicifolius, Willow-Leaf Sunflower.
Nowhere else have I ever seen this plant, save the internet.  It's growing in Willow Park, in some beds of wonderful grasses, roses, and the like. 
I first noticed this amazing foliage last summer, and wondered what on earth this could be.  It was so nice early in the season; it did not even need to bloom to call my name and say, "You need me."


Only when it started to bloom in late September could I discover it was a helianthus, meaning, simply, "sun"-"flower."    Salicifolius, of course, means it has leaves like Willow, Salix.  H.s. is blooming now, at the same time and with flowers very similar to Jerusalem Artichoke, Helianthus tuberosus.  But Willow-Leaf has leaves as narrow as Jerusalem Artichoke's are wide, if you know that plant.  
It seems to be a very happy perennial in the Annapolis Valley.  Where can I find some for my own garden?   I don't know.  Last year I sought seeds from these plants, but I don't think any ripened or were produced.  To me this is a rare and unusual plant, and it is so close at hand!  Perhaps next year I'll find a source.  
     If you grow it, I hope you enjoy it thoroughly!

1 comment:

  1. I bet you it came from Blomidon Nursery. You might ask Jacquie there. She'd know. It is quite unusual isn't it, and can't say I have seen it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete