Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chartreuse Foliage Follow-Up

Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate'
I guess it's high time I enjoyed foliage follow-up to GBBD on the blogoshpere.  Thanks to Pam for hosting this.  And thanks to some rain this month, the leaves are still alive.   
Vitis 'Einset'
And the grape harvest will be happening a month from now. Hopefully the humans get as many as the wild mammals and the birds.  Below, from the base of a Ninebark, a three-year-old, voluntary Sumac is prospering.  I have been meaning to dig that out of there for two years!  
Rhus typhina & Physocarpus opulifolius
I thought today I'd highlight a big perennial that is getting to full size.  At least, I'm guessing it won't get a lot grander than this.  It is Aralia cordata "Sun King."  Bought a little one in the summer of 2010.  Today it is just about at the four foot mark, according to my measuring tape.
 
 And the blooming bits are just starting to appear, so it will keep stretching.  Below you see what it looked like here on May 19.   It has overtaken the neighbours with its steady growth.   

It is in a protected and semi-shaded bed by the house that has also made my willow cuttings happy.  
Salix matsudana 'tortuosa'?
I call them cuttings, and they were a couple years ago, but their growth has got ahead of me.  This bed is their temporary home.  For me, these are big things to move.  I find, the bigger they are, the more likely to die, when I move a tree or shrub.  
     Well, let's finish up by visiting the hothouse.  Various perennial, shrub and tree seedlings are still happy there.  In fact, some seeds planted in the spring are just arising.  

Arisaema, Vernonia, Eryngium, Aconitum, Linum, Calycanthus, Silphium, Diospyros, etc.




And my Nepenthes has had a growth spurt.  I must have kept it watered enough to develop a whole new crop of pitchers.  Perhaps it will catch some of the wasps that have built nests in the hothouse.  May your foliage bless you in your garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment