Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Bountiful Day


After a friend offered some plums from a tree in her yard, I thought I had better check the old tree in our back field.  It is completely hanging with fruit this year.  This usually happens every second year.  I have started picking, and eating, and giving away.  I have never been one to make jams and jellies, so I am trying to freeze them - cut in half - and keep them for fruit smoothies later.  Wish me luck on this first-time experiment.
D'ya like my use of plant pots?  This is just the tip of this plum tree iceberg.
Along with this bounty, when I got over the to Cottage on Monday, I found this recently planted eggplant in sorry condition.  It is swarming with potato bugs.  


How did this happen so quickly?  Well, there is a bountiful supply of these beetles from the potato field across the road from the Cottage.  The potatoes are almost all eaten up, and the beetles are flying around looking for more.  I guess eggplant is as tasty as potato.  


 At the Cottage that day I entertained some folks from our "Haliburton Garden Club."  So it was an afternoon brimming with friends.  This is just what a garden is for, eh?



The squares and cookies they brought were plentiful indeed.  Thanks, one and all, for a rich and relaxing afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Well..you know..the first time I saw a potato bug was when we moved here thirteen years ago to the south shore and one landed on the window of the back door. I thought..it is such a beautiful insect..surely it is a good bug. Not. Two years of picking off young, learning the life cycle and finally applying nematodes to the soil, was it finally gone. Only once a recurrence..short lived. However..living next to a potato field as you do.....sigh..well good luck gardening friend.

    ReplyDelete