Friday, March 31, 2023

Cape d'Dor: paths to a beach

With spring beginning, I've been itching to get out and about in my 'new' area. I have been in Cumberland County ten months now, but anyway...
Some posts online gave me the hint there is plenty to see in the landscape around Cape d'Or. So one early evening this month the tides were right for a quick jaunt to a beach where the cliffs have not only their natural features, but some (rather dangerous) mineshafts.
I made my way, by car, partway up the road to the Cape, and walked once the last of the snow and ice filled in.
I bushwhacked just a little ways toward a brook that leads down to the rocky shore. The woods are lovely and I know I must come back at various times of the growing season to see what is flourishing here. As some online instructions said, the path down the brook to the beach was flanked by one of the mineshafts - seen here with ice lining it. The way down the brook to the beach was a bit of a wet rappel with some ropes. The evening sun was bright and beautiful. 

Heading east, a rocky point that I approached soon revealed itself to be a sea stack, with a long, narrow shape. Approaching it, it looked wide; passing between it and the cliffside, it was much narrower.
In a little cove by the stack I saw more ropes, leading up another rough, steep slope. But no brook - this was drier. I decided to take this way up, and track through the woods back to where I started. 

I had but a couple hours of daylight to explore, so this was just an initial scouting mission. I will be back to spend more time in the woods atop the cliffs, and on the rocky beaches below. Cape d'Or is about an hours drive from my home, so it is a place to return to again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment