Friday, August 2, 2013

Tangled Garden Tour


After living in the vicinity of this garden for decades, I finally visited the Tangled Garden, with our local garden club.  Wow, I had been missing out on an amazing adventure.
 


The sculpture, the plants, the wild and wonderful style - it is worth far more than the $3 admission.
 


I saw a lot of plants I'd like to grow, a few of which I had never seen growing in Nova Scotia before.  There are quite a few herbs and edibles, and so much more.  



That's a beautiful, simple bench, eh?  Be careful as you sit!  And check out the stone and woodwork at the entry to the labyrinth.  




Entering a herb garden was this uncommon, annual vine.  I think it is Ipomoea lobata, which is the same genus as all the morning glories, actually.  Some of the common names are Spanish Flag, Firecracker Vine, and Exotic Love Vine.  Native to Mexico, Central America and South America, I'd seen seeds for sale in catalogues, but never the plant itself.  
 


In the Tangled Garden, the landscape of edible and ornamental plants, with a gentle approach to weeding out the weeds, is very appealing.  And it's a big garden... don't know how many staff are keeping it going, but they create a horticultural jewel, hidden away in Grand Pré, Nova Scotia.


Along a rocky stream-bed of a path, some spectacular things were hidden away.  Crocosmia always stands out.  Bear's Breech[es] (Acanthus mollis) in bloom was a first for me - a "lifer" as the birders would say.  Planted it once, and it died for me.
 


I did not get a good view of this green roof,  but I want one of these too!



Many of the sculptural elements were composed of rusty metal, recycled bits, some so simply put together.  One person's junk can become another's artwork.
 


 Art imitating life is whimsical, but also gets one observing the real, living things differently. The giant White Pine cone was my favourite, I guess. Sculpture as commentary to the soul about the pine, the bird, the planet.  



It was a nice time of year to tour the Tangled Garden, but then it was time to leave.  I'll be back soon.

 

We stopped for lunch nearby.  Just in time to get out of the rain showers.  

 Yeah, that's yours truly in the centre, with members and guests of the Haliburton Garden Club.  This stopping place has been around for many decades, and is still famed for its seafood chowder and the like.  I had the lobster club sandwich.  :)

The gardeners at the café and motel are doing a great job.  Another feast for the eyes.
     One of my next adventures is a week in Kentucky (flying in and out of Nashville, Tennessee).  I hope to enjoy some different horticulture there.  Any hits about what to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment