Friday, August 30, 2013

Golden Lace (Patrinia scabiosifolia)


I'ts time to start highlighting the occasional wonderful plant.  This is a new one to me.  Patrinia scabiosifolia, Golden Lace.  Saw seeds for sale at Gardens North, and saw it in photos on blogs, and I had to have it. 
 

Started the seeds last spring (2012), and this year the plants I put in the ground last fall sprung up, grew and grew and grew, and are in full bloom now.  Some of them are about five feet tall!  The stalks are very strong and sturdy.  One clump did bend in one wind-storm (lots of windy days at the Cottage!), but they kept their crooked place, and are blooming elegantly as they lean.

   A few of the tiniest seedlings last year stayed in pots over winter, and this year I finally put them in the ground.  Below are a few that need to be separated (and shared).

The foliage is robust and green.  I have it planted in a bed shaded by the Cottage in the morning, and with evening shade from some small trees.  Now it's doing so well, I need to team it up with more things that compliment it.  

It has weathered the ongoing attack of an aphid army - aided by ants, naturally - and I wait to see how long the blooming season will last, and if they will go to seed.  

I recommend this one.  I've never seen it anywhere in NS, nor seen it for sale, except for the seeds I found.  
     Good luck with your own plant adventures.  I do enjoy the gardening blogs out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment