Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wildflower Wednesday: Pink, Pink, Pink, Yellow

At first glance this could be a geranium, but no... see the four petals, instead of five?  This is an Epilobium I see in the occasional ditch here in Nova Scotia.  E. hirsutum, Great Willowherb.  There is a healthy patch of it near my home, across from a farmer's market.  

Less showy, prominent, or common than Fireweed, E. angustifolium, Great Willoherb is still a good six or seven feet tall, alongside the cattails. (Well, I guess Fireweed is now Chamerion angustifolium... the nomenclature is always changing!)
It grows long, narrow seedpods, typical of its genus, that will open to shed their fluffy, flying seeds.  
   A bit closer to home, along our long driveway, a patch of Crown Vetch comes up each year.  I guess Coronilla varia (or Securigera varia) has been planted around the province, and gone a bit wild in places.  Does not seem to be spreading.  I've always been charmed by it and thought it a nice surprise to find.  


(Pay no attention to the Goutweed that the Vetch is clambering over!)
     When I wander into the adjacent, abandoned field, big clumps of Joe Pye Weed can be found.  I knew Eupatorium purpureum (or Eutrochium purpureum) as a wetland wildflower long before I saw varieties in people's gardens.  

 On sunny days I've seen it teeming with small, orange butterflies.  This dark, damp evening, only a few aphids and ants were enjoying this clump!
I always see it in the wild doing better than the bits in my garden.  The aphids seem to win on my property.  These wild clumps, with their roots in wetter places, fare very well.  
And, tramping back to the driveway, I find a new plant to me this summer.  At first glance, the blossoms fool one into thinking it's just the oh-so-common Bird's Foot Trefoil.
But this is growing like a vetch or other "pea," with tendrils at the ends of the leaves, with only two leaflets.  It's quite thick, matted, and luxurious in this abandoned field.  
This is Meadow Vetchling, Lathyrus pratensis, one more of the many, many introductions to North America of the Pea family, Fabaceae.
Check out Clay and Limestone for more links to Wildflower Wednesday in the gardening blogosphere.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jeff! Fireweed is so cool. There's a fireweed in my state, Tennessee, but, none in my sun challenged garden. A tall stand would be a delight to run across in the wild here. That's a beautiful stand of Joe-pye weed. I have it in my garden and it's been happy with all the rain we've had. There sure are a lot of fab Fabiaceae's even the introduced ones are pretty. Happy Wildflower Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post for Gail's Wildflower Wednesday!
    I think Vetch is so pretty, but it always wants to grow in my vegetable garden, instead of over in the flower beds where I want it!
    Have a great day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete