Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Canada Day Weekend

On the past weekend - sometimes windy and quite wet - I discovered my roses at the Cottage doing well.  The unnamed yellow is just starting to open up, and Crocus Rose, below, is very happy.  Doesn't mind the wet weather at all.  I saw this variety first in a friend's garden, and liked it so much I got one for myself.  Its' great to have a friend who knows his roses.  I just send off an email asking for advice on my next purchase.

Seven Sisters is just coming into her glory, and is even chatting with a pink peony.  

Some of the peonies are weathering the weather remarkably well.  A few, like this pink one above, are fairly new to me, and really blooming for the first time this year.  We can all count on downpours when they reach their peak, eh?  Below is a crashing peony, with flattened carnation pinks.
My wife noticed what I did too... rather a lot of pink in bloom at the cottage just now.  Not intentional .. just happened.  One delightful pink rarity is the showy lady's slipper, Cypripedium reginae.  So glad it keeps growing, despite the weeds!  Got this through the mail a few years ago.  It grows wild, and quite luxuriously, in a local provincial park.  

And what Canada Day weekend would be complete without strawberries for shortcake!  There is a long tradition, at our particular cottage, of BBQ and shortcake on this holiday.  We happened to dine a day early, June 30.  It was the best weather day of the weekend!
Happy 4th of July to you gardeners "south of the border."

No comments:

Post a Comment