Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May '12

Primula and Veronica umbrosa (and Lamium, if you look hard enough)
What a difference a month makes.  GBBD in May in Nova Scotia is certainly diverse, compared with April.  Here is a gallery of the latest bloomers.
Anemone blanda - Windflower
Vaccinium corymbosum - High Bush Blueberry
Lamium galeobdolon - Yellow Archangel
Alchemilla mollis - Lady's Mantle

Ccaenomeles speciosa - Flowering Quince and Viola tricolor - Johnny-jump-up

Trillium erectum
My Cottage garden borders the Minas Basin, a salt water bay.  There, I find things are a week later blooming and progressing than just just five kms inland, or deeper into the Annapolis Valley.  The Flowering Crab Apple below, for instance, barely has a couple blossoms opened.  At our house, in Hants County, such flowers are fully out now.  

Malus hybrid - Crabapple
Ribes aureum - Golden Currant
Pulmonaria officinalis - Mary & Joseph

Rhododendron hybrid
Viola sororia 'Freckles'
Asarum europaeum - European Ginger
There are a few other things in bloom just now at the Cottage that are not pictured here:  the Magnolia, a perennial Geranium, Japanese Barberry, Grape Hyacinths, and the last fading bits of Forsythia.  

     O Yes... and don't forget that it is Dandelion season!  Some hate them in the lawn; I only attack them in the flower beds.

Taraxacum officinale
May all your weeds be weak, and your perennials profuse!

2 comments:

  1. So many beauties. I just adore 'Freckles' and Pulmonaria always catches my eye. The fields of Dandelions do look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned to tolerate dandelions. I used to hate them, and pull them out of my yard, but now I sorta like them and leave them be. It took 3 years for me to think that way.

    Mockorange, Philadelphus!!! You are so right! I looked it up and that is exactly what my bush in the yard is. The scent is amazing! Thank you so much for helping me identify it!

    ReplyDelete