Friday, May 11, 2012

Divide and Conquer: Yellow Wax Bells

My Yellow Wax Bells, Kirengeshoma palmata has become a large clump with a rather woody surface at soil level.  Most of the shoots of new spring growth are just around the perimeter.  And it's a bit too close to the cottage.  
Got this from a friend, years ago.  Lovely, somewhat maple-like foliage; and then the waxy yellow flowers late in the summer season.  It was a bit of a chore chopping it up and digging parts out, but we managed to dissect it with the spade, whacking it with the blunt end of an axe head.  Thanks to my wife who cautiously held the shovel while I swung the axe.  Sadly I didn't document that part of the adventure with the camera. 
And then it was time to pry it out in pieces.  Almost like big, heavy slabs of lasagne cut out of a pan.  Given away, spread around, potted up, I trust the pieces will all live and flourish.  
Kirengeshoma likes being out of the full sun.  This bit, above, now has some bamboo and "Invincibelle Spirit" Hydrangea as neighbours, among other things (like the dandelion).  I hunted in vain for a photo of the mature plant with blossoms; I was sure I had taken shots in previous years!  Oh well... I'll have to be sure and document the blossoming later this summer.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite woodland plants. You need to see if you can find Kirengeshoma koreana - with more uprightly held flowers that is an earlier bloomer than K.p. I hear there is also a new one on the market K.p 'Margarita' with brilliantly chartreuse foliage. I love this plant commingling with the various fall flowering Aconitum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Barry, I saw K. koreana on your blog. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. And the chartreuse variety sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete