Tuesday, June 18, 2013

First Time Blooms


Well, I missed Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.  
Meanwhile, back at the cottage...

A few of my newer plants are blooming for the first time ever.  The plant above came from a garden club sale last year, basically unnamed.  Might be Stachys grandiflora.  The honeysuckle (Lonicera) below may have bloomed last year, but I'm counting this as its first time.  Was dug up somewhere... long forgotten, and just last year  brought these pieces to the cottage.
Finally bought a little gas plant last year, Dictamnus albus.  Nice to see it blooms the first year after planting, unlike a peony.  I've always thought of these as similar in growth and lifespan to peonies for some reason, though I've never had one of these before.  

And even the tiny kiwi vines are blooming!  Will there be fruit?  I have never seen a little berry from the hardy kiwi, Actinidia kolomikta.  Hopefully these vines will one day cover the geodesic dome, with the help of some other vines there.  

Other new plants will bloom as the year goes on... a wonderful delight of being a gardener like me: a collector.  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, think you are correct on the first one, Big Betony we call her in my garden.

    All this rain, a good year for the garden so far by the look of it.

    ReplyDelete