Friday, September 21, 2012

September Rebound

Daylily 'Stella D'Oro'
This past week I finally made time to be out at the Cottage a bit, and the colours are rebounding.  Lots of rain has revived a few things, and come along just in time to prosper the usual seasonal sensations.
Aster blooms and Privet berries above the high tide
The Burning Bushes are starting to turn, wild apples are ripening, and Actaea, Black Snakeroot, is blooming.  I notice  the Snakeroot is shorter this year, along with a few other things; likely due to our dry summer.


I find that the 'Autumn Crocus' (Colchicum) bloom at a different time each year.  Right now they are coming out, but not all at once.  In other years, they all arrived at Thanksgiving (8 - 14th of October).  

Some of the perennial seedlings I put in the ground just last month have really taken off.  I can hardly wait to see how they prosper next year.
And even the little papaya seedling is flourishing.  Maybe I will have to rescue it and take it in for the winter.  I've not had much success with these in the past.  
May The start of autumn keep things growing for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment