Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wildflower Wednesday: Pitcher Pictures

Well, I'm a day late, but I'll sneak in on wildflower Wednesday with these shots I took on the weekend in a bog in Parrsboro, Nova Scotia.
Sacrricenia purpurea
 
This native Pitcher Plant has been a favourite plant of mine for almost ever.  Here is a view of the habitat.  I need to create a tiny bog garden and recruit some of these great plants for it.

The genus is named after Dr. Michel Sarrazin (1659-1734), Canada's first professional botanist, according to Bill Casselman's Canadian Garden Words (1997).  I say he was  Canadian; he was from Burgundy, and went to New France to serve in medicine and surgery.  Along with medical work he catalogued and collected a vast amount of plant material.    The species, "purpurea," means purple, naturally.  Some of the common names include "Indian Cup," "Petis Couchons," "Piggywigs," and "Whip-poor-will's Boots."  
   Check out Wildflower Wednesdays, the last of each month, hosted by clay and limestone.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff, I've always wanted to see pitcher plants in their natural habitat! How cool! Let us know when you create your bog. gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that deep, dark purple color, or would we call it wine? Happy WW.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete