Saturday, September 19, 2020

Scientific Saturday: Bioblitzing!

 

So this week, in my spare moments, I've been 'bioblitzing.' Yes, making observations of plenty of living things in my county, and submitting them to iNaturalist. It's the First Annual Kepukwitk Municipal iNaturalist Competition - and Digby County is competing quite well, so far. 


The first time I heard the term 'citizen scientist' was just a few years ago. A local retired biologist used it, speaking of everyday people contributing to scientific knowledge. Well, that is just what iNaturlaist is about. Everyone can log in and submit what they have seen. Even if you don't know what some organism is, someone out there will, and can help identify it. 

Powder-tipped antler lichen

Here are a few other things I have seen this week:

Ladies Tresses Orchid


Blue Felt Lichen (our Provincial lichen - nominated)

Northern Harrier

Great Blue Heron


Dwarf Birch

No comments:

Post a Comment