Sunday, October 16, 2022

Knowing God, or: Sour Grapes, Itching, & Faith on Earth?

 

10:30 am, Sun, Oct 16, 2022 - J G White / FBC Amherst

(Jer 31:27-34; 2 Tim 3:14-4:5; Lk 18:1-8)

 

I finally read some of Annie Dillard this past summer, but not the book where she says this:

Why do people in church seem like cheerful, brainless tourists on a packaged tour of the Absolute? … Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we blithely invoke? Or, as I suspect, does no one believe a word of it? …It is madness to wear ladies’ straw hats and velvet hats to church; we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews. [Annie Dillard, Teaching a Stone to Talk: Expeditions and Encounters (New York: Harper & Row, 1982), pp. 40-41.]

We are here to know about God, to know God, and to be with God, together. Let me give a 3-part talk.

PART 1. Sour Grapes: contact with God is personal. The fifty pages in your Bible we call “Jeremiah” has this proverb quoted in it. ‘The parents have eaten sour grapes, and the children’s teeth are set on edge.’ Must have been and old saying. Here, the prophet says it is not to be true. Each generation of people will live and die as they choose. And he goes on. There is coming a day when people will know Yahweh God, without being taught, or told to ‘know.’

Here we are, a few thousand years later. Has this come true, at least partly? Yes. Partly. The evangelical movement of the past couple hundred years has done its part to emphasize that Christianity is a personal relationship between people and God. The pendulum has swung a bit too far (as pendulums usually do) to the “it’s just Jesus and me,” side of things. We’ve all gotten very independent in our religion & spirituality.

It is a very Baptist idea to respect the soul freedom of every person. In fact, you are so free to know God for yourself and respond, that we won’t baptize you into the Church until you can decide for yourself. Right on. Of course, we also exercise our freedom to welcome you in as a member if you did happen to be christened as an infant, once upon a time.

We instil in the young – and all others – that knowing God is bigger and better than just knowing all about God. I have always been interested in how people learn and develop, what are people actually doing when they pray, how do people change their minds, what happens in their experience of the Divine.

I think of Canadian author, Ralph Milton’s testimony about praying. [I] think of something that happened in the last week or so. I tell that story to God, in words that form in my head. I try to say what I did, what others did, and how I feel. I express myself in the kind of language I usually use. Sometimes this includes some old-fashioned four-letter words. I don’t think God minds. [Sermon Seasonings, 1997, p. 140-141]

After I’ve told God everything, I try to listen. That’s called praying. One person’s experience.

PART 2. Itching Ears: how does the Bible work for us? People have itching ears, and seek out whatever they want to please them: new thoughts and theories, stories and beliefs they want. This may be what we are warned of in this old letter today, from one early minister in the church to another. Young Timothy is reminded of how he learned the scriptures – in his case this was the Hebrew Bible – and the Christian teachings that were built upon this.

Baptist Christians, among others, emphasize what we can call Bible freedom: this belief that it is and should be available to all of us, and we can work with it. The Bible has not always been used this way. Now, we have a lot of freedom, and the scriptures are readily available to us, in a multitude of forms.

But these words, in the Bible, warn: For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires… 

Isn’t curiosity a good thing? What about questioning? In a way, I have had ‘itching ears’ all my life, and keep looking for new answers, and new ways to figure this all out. Yes, yes it is good. By the grace of God we seek a balance. We balance knowing what the basics are, and where we go next to interpret life, the universe, and everything.

We have this great phrase here, the scriptures are inspired: they are ‘breathed’ by God. And so they inspire us: something new is breathed into you and me. The word I like to use is influence – I think of the Bible influencing us. More than just ‘what it means,’ ‘life application,’ or exact ‘teaching.’ How does it influence us?

I use the word ‘us’ there on purpose. Because I believe it is together, not alone, that we will truly be influenced well. One wise thinker has said that the Bible is not completely the Bible outside of the Church. It only fully makes sense and has its power in and from ‘the People of Jesus.’ Also, as another wise guy said, the Bible not understandable and working if it is not the whole Bible, together. Each part, each verse, chapter, and book, can only fully live within this whole little library called the Holy Scriptures.

This is an antidote to scratching our itching ears and going off in all directions. We have great freedom with the Bible, but we keep it together, and we use it together, as Church.

All the personal bits here in the letter speak to this. Timothy is told to remember how he learned, from whom he learned the word, and what it meant, in Christ. He had is mother, Eunice, and grandmother, Lois, to thank for this, among others in his life.

Perhaps you remember some of your teacher from your past… and some of the exact lessons you learned. I heard on the morning radio yesterday a fellow calling in, an almost 90-year-old man, wishing his school-teacher a happy birthday. So, he’s congratulating one of his old teachers? How old was she? 107!

I look back to the people who taught me at a Baptist Church, and surely influenced me, when I was 10, 14, 18 years old. Mr. Fancy, Mr. Tufts, Mr. Reese, Mrs. Diggins, Pastor Blaikie, Rev. Robertson.

As I thank God for them in my life, I urge us all – who are adults now – be excellent influencers today, for the people around us. We have a living faith to pass on to them. Not to mention some faith to receive.

PART 3. Faith on Earth: Who prays? That’s the question Jesus ends with, after telling a parable about a cruel judge and a determined, poor, widow. ‘Won’t God do right by those who pray?’ He asks. ‘Yet will He find faith on earth?’

To be persistent about praying for good things is a simple lesson… until things don’t seem to work out. Perhaps all your prayers have always been answered; I have not observed that.

We have our ways of coming to understand this, and sometimes we still wonder about things. About the disasters in our lives and our world that don’t get stopped – by God or by anyone else. I’m going to leave that sermon for another day.

Let me say now: I think our practice of prayer is persistent: I believe in that. ‘Pray without ceasing’ we hear in one New Testament verse. All the activities we call ‘prayer’ are good for us and good for the world. Like eating, breathing, moving, socializing – quality time with God is an important piece of life.

I think prayer is a bit like eating. For almost everyone, eating food comes quite naturally. Doing it well – having a good diet and all – this can be a challenge. So too with this stuff we call praying. Many of us don’t have a well-balanced diet of prayer. Maybe our praying is fatty, or salty, or sugary, or it is all pizza and fast food, or we are just plain malnourished – not getting enough.

There are many ways of praying, as you know. Sometimes I like trying other things, such as walking prayer, silence, pondering nature and scripture, keeping a prayer journal, reading prayers written by other people, and so on.

You could come walk with me this coming Saturday, on a little nature trial near here, out on the marsh. It will be a social event, yes; it will be a nature walk, yes. It will also be a ‘spiritual stroll,’ with a few moments for quiet reflection and observation. Seeking the Creator in creation… together.

‘Spiritual practices,’ or, ‘spiritual disciplines’ have fascinated me for years, now. I have read about Christian meditation, lectio divina, spiritual direction, solitude and silence, fasting and prayer, and a dozen other practices. Have I put them into practice? Not much! Ah, there’s the trouble.

Sometimes I am a cynic. I have this theory that a lot of those people out there who say ‘you’re in my thoughts,’ or ‘I’m sending prayers,’ don’t do much more praying than just saying that. I guess I know how not-so-persistent my own prayer habits are!

So it’s very personal. I am interested in working with lots of you on prayer and spiritual practices… for I need plenty of work myself.

We are in this together. This knowing God thing. Sharing our spiritual practices, practice makes perfect. Sharing our scriptures, we are inspired and influenced. Sharing our personal spirituality, we belong, together, in the family of God.

Let us share What we know.

Let us share Who we know.

 

SILENCE

 

PRAYER     With words and silence, let us   pray:

Giver of the perfect Gift, we give thanks to You – Father, Spirit, Son – for every blessing, for all our lessons and challenges, and for the promises given. Now, in silence, we praise You for these things…

 Praise to You, Spirit of life!

Personal God, as the Trinity You are already a Relationship, a Community, a Belonging. We pray now, asking for help in the lives of many people. Silently, we pray for people we know, and those we’ve been asked to pray for today…

 Have mercy, Great Physician!

Holy Friend, You show Yourself in many ways. Be our Teacher, Guide and Master, we pray. Now, we pray quietly for those who could use guidance and bravery right now…

 Spirit of Truth, lead our lives.

Living Word of God, in Your name, O Christ, we intercede for the world now, where terrible violence flares up in every quarter. Our prayers range from Canada to Turkey, from Thailand to Afghanistan…

 Creator, You’ve got the whole world in Your hands. Now, as we go to share a fellowship meal, and then depart: lighten the darkness, equip Your people, renew the earth. To You be the glory, God who was, God who is with us, God who will be. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment